Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cutie Petunias opens at the ASC Market Place

An Interview with Naomi Ventura, Owner and Designer


By: Denise Mendiola-Hertslet
Senior Business Counselor/WIB Program Coordinator
(Guam SBDC)

Please tell us a little about yourself:
NV: I'm a mother of 2 beautiful children and a wife of an active Coast Guard. My daughter who's my second child was born in April of 2012 and she was my inspiration to the start of my business.

Why did you decide to start a business?
NV: When my daughter was born, I couldn't find hair accessories or foot wear that she could fit so I decided to create them for her. Everyone loved the pieces I made as well so that's when I decided to start a business.

What experience do you have in this type of business?
Naomi Ventura, owner of Cutie Petunias, displays one
of her hair accessories.
NV: I'd like to think that I've always been a creative person. I was a hair dresser for a year and a half. I worked at Hairtown at the GPO in 2003 until I relocated to California in 2005. So instead of cutting hair, I now enjoy dressing hair.

How did the Guam Small Business Development Center and other resources help you?
NV: I received so much helpful information at the SBDC. They assisted me with my business plan and helped me to cross network with business owners and other great people to know. They helped open my eyes to the goals I didn't think I could reach.

What was the start-up process like?
NV: The toughest part of starting a business for me was the business plan. It took me 3 months to complete.

How did you fund your business?
NV: For business start-up, I applied for the Patriots Express loan, through the Bank of Guam and that was surprisingly fast and smooth. I received funds 2 weeks after my application.

What was your most memorable experience in your start-up process?
NV: Holding my Business license was my moment of triumph. It was the start of my business and endless possibilities.

What advice would you give to others who want to start a business?
NV: My advice to others is, if you feel you have a great idea for a business, move forward with it. At least to take a step and contact the Guam SBDC for advice!