Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Risha Aguon, MA, IMFT Opens Private Practice




By: Denise Mendiola-Hertslet
Senior Business Counselor/BOG WIB Program Coordinator
(Guam SBDC)

You could say she had it all…beauty, brains, and brawn. But the one thing Risha Aguon dreamt about the most was to have her own business. After much determination and hard work, she was handed the keys to
her very first office space. When I asked her to be interviewed for this article, she began by telling me about the loves of her life. Risha has a beautiful eighteen-month old son, Sabian Aguon-Calvo. Her parents are Ronald and Elaine Aguon and her grandparents are Edward and Katherine Aguon and James and Maria Marques. Risha is a licensed individual marriage and family therapist and has been licensed for 2 years now. She received her graduate degree and training from Argosy University in San Diego and completed her post-graduate internship at the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse and the Superior Court of Guam.


Why did you decide to start your own business?
RA: Opening a private practice has always been a dream since going into this field but it was not until I gave birth to my son and become a single parent that I was compelled to make my dream a reality.

What experience do you have in this type of business?
RA: As a Therapist, I have extensive experience. As a businesswoman, I had zero experience coming into it.
How did the Small Business Development Center and other resources help you?
RA: As I was contemplating starting my own practice, I called Guam SBDC to find out information. When I called and explained my situation, they set me up with an appointment right away and provided me with unconditional support and direction from there. When I think about my experience with SBDC I think about the tremendous amount of encouragement I received. I walked in having an immense fear of starting something alone with no experience and was pretty much told, “you can do this and we can help you.” I was given answers to all my questions or information on where I can get those answers.


What was the start-up process like?
RA: The start-up process was tough it involved a great deal of questions, research, paperwork, networking, applications, certifications, driving, running around, money and maybe some other things I can’t think of right now. Organization was crucial in the process.
How did you fund your business?
RA: Luckily I had a savings and family support. Funding was especially necessary in starting a business. From my experience, there was a good amount of costs that went into the start-up and thereafter. Although I have made some income, I still have more expenses.

What were some of the biggest challenges you experienced in the start-up process?
RA: One of the biggest challenges for me was getting through the fear of “what if it doesn’t work out?” But the support I received from my family, friends, the community, Guam SBDC, and other professionals helped me get through that challenge.
The financial aspect in starting a business was another challenge. It is tough not having a stable income and finding ways to bring in income as a service provider. Thankfully there were other people and businesses in the community like Calvo’s Select Care and Take Care that have given me the chance to work with them. Also, learning to budget wisely and cut back on certain lifestyles has helped with this particular challenge.
And lastly, balancing the different priorities in my life. Being a new single mom is hard work and so is opening up a business, but thankfully I really had the support that I needed. And I had to continue to prioritize and work at my own pace.
What is your most memorable triumph in your start-up process?
RA: There was definitely a sense of pride after my first session took place. I looked around my office and said to myself, “wow I did it.” Then when I got my first dollar I knew for sure I made something work. Not only has opening a private practice given me the flexibility to put in time and effort into each client it has given me the liberty to spend quality time with my child that can never be taken away.

What are your short-term and long-term plans for your business?
RA: My short-term goals are to hopefully gain more clients, continue to grow and learn as a professional and as a businesswoman, and to become a service provider for all insurance companies on island. My long-term goals are to be the best therapist/professional I can be and to continue to use my business to provide quality service to the community.


What advice would you give to others who want to start a business at this time?
RA: I encourage anyone who has the same dream to go for it. It takes passion and determination but once you see a chance and all the elements are in place take it and run! There are so many resources available and so many people willing to help. The opportunity for local businesses to open and prosper is out there to grasp!